Monday, September 22, 2008

I could have loved you like a planet

...but it really doesn't matter at all...no it really doesn't matter at all.....Life's a gas!

Well, that's Replacements, now stuck in my head semi-permanently, for good reason probably. It really does not matter at all... I could have loved Cambridge like a planet, and I did, I did. But I picked up my room and plopped it into The Hague. When I look around, it looks almost the same, the same laptop on my knees, except my musically inclined housemate whistles when walking down the stairs, producing new sounds (that jolt me out of the bed and stand at the ready to defend myself before i remember he's just whistling/humming/singing....i don't get the emo stuff, always sounds like an injured wailing banshee to me). And when I walk outside...well, I don't walk outside. I get on my bike and pedal around... And streets are streets... could be almost anywhere. Except here you have to navigate through a sea of bikers, many of them are carrying large obtrusive objects, talk on the cell phone and smoke at the same time.
And all the Europe stuff.... old buildings and cobblestones....all mostly obstacles, from a biker's perspective. For a land of bikers, there's way too many cobblestones. From The Hague all the way to Leiden. My brain is still shaking three days later.
Though I do wish to be able to walk out to my old living room, and knit while sipping an IPA and moving the TV about the room to catch a grainy episode of Seinfeld.
Here I can drink any beer and watch any of 1,000 channels on our cable TV. Where's the fun in that?


No comments: